George McNeill only needed to make par on the 72nd hole to secure a win at the 2012 Puerto Rico Open over the weekend, but instead decided to add some style points with a closing birdie en route to his second-career PGA Tour victory. McNeill, who finished the day with three consecutive birdies, won the tournament with rounds of 66-70-67-69 for a four-day score of -18, 272.

McNeill, who won previously at the 2007 Frys.com Open during his rookie year, was the 54-hole leader at Trump International Golf Club in Puerto Rico but still needed to make a Sunday charge since the leaderboard was filled with low scores.

“I was really nervous, but I knew what I had to do, and basically I just had to bear down and get it done,” said McNeill, a 36-year-old Florida State alum. “If not, then somebody else was going to win. I was trying to basically have control of myself, and that’s all I was looking for.”

He earned $630,000 for the triumph, along with 250 FedEx Cup points.

McNeill’s story really is that of a journeyman. He turned professional in 1998 and tried to make a name for himself on the Nationwide Tour and mini-tours. After a few years with varying results, McNeill gave up playing competitive golf completely and returned to Florida to work as a teaching professional. After nine months of working at two different golf courses, McNeill had had enough and made the decision to get back to what he loved – playing golf at the highest level.

In 145 career PGA Tour starts, McNeill now has two wins, six runner-ups and two playoff losses. He’s learned a lot since his first victory.

“I think I was a little dumb, for lack of a better word, in 2007,” McNeill said. “I really didn’t know any better.

“It’s not easy to be the best even if it’s only for one week, and that’s why it’s tough. And you got to take in golf what you can and move on.”

In his bag this week was:

Driver: Launcher Ultralite TL310, 9.5*

Irons: 588 Forged MB, 3-PW

Wedges: 588 Forged 54* & 60*

Ball: Srixon Z-STAR XV

Categories: PGA, THE LATEST, TOUR

1. jim wysocki says:

Nice job!
    I’m waiting for the same irons……….

2. fred ebetino says:

A great finish , and exciting victory for George.

3. Andresa says:

Poorly fit clubs can make the ball go too high, too low, to the right or to the left, and/or make you more generally isconsintent. Is it worth saving $100 to be less accurate and less consistent? It’s not to me. I don’t know about where you live, but here you’re only going to get 2 rounds of golf for $100, and in most places you’ll still probably only get 3 rounds or so. So if you skip two or three rounds, the extra cost is covered. And don’t listen to these idiots saying you don’t need fitted if you’re of average height. Two players that are the EXACT same height will often need differently fitted clubs. Different players have different sized hands, different swing speeds, and different setups. So is fitting clubs necessary? Not if you always want to shoot worse than your potential, be perpetually more isconsintent than you should be, and hinder your growth as a player for as long as you own the clubs. And that’s not just regarding top players. Bad players benefit from fitted clubs MORE than top pros. Here’s a cheaper way to get fitted if you want to save some money. Go to a store that sells Ping clubs, and go through their fitting process. It’s free and fairly quick. Get your stats printed out, tell them you’ll be back some other time to buy the clubs, then find a used set (of Pings obviously) with the same or similar setup.

4. video testimonials says:

Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clearness on your put up is simply great and i could assume you’re a professional on this subject. Fine along with your permission allow me to grasp your RSS feed to stay updated with forthcoming post. Thanks one million and please keep up the rewarding work.

5. sell vps, vps gia re, vps khung, vps pro, dich vu vps, vps us, vps vip, share vps, free vps, vps free says:

I am extremely impressed together with your writing talents as neatly as with the format to your blog. Is that this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice high quality writing, it is uncommon to look a nice weblog like this one these days..

6. pregnancy information says:

You can definitely see your enthusiasm in the work you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart.

7. download mp3 says:

Just wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity to your post is simply nice and that i could suppose you are an expert in this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to stay updated with imminent post. Thank you one million and please continue the rewarding work.